what is it about the 56 Chevy that makes it the least desireable of the run from the 55 Chevy to the 57 Chevy?
what is it about the 56 Chevy that makes it the least desireable of the run from the 55 Chevy to the 57 Chevy?
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
I prefer the 55 over either. I think the 56 is just the middle child. Maybe it's the goofy chrome thing going up the side. ???
![]()
![]()
Still not bad though...
"There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
that's still a SHARP car.
When I was in the 9th grade my dad had a wrecker service. He was always restoring 55 Chevys. A lot of the parts for about the 53-57 were interchangable. So, he knew if there was one lying around somewhere. He found a 57 Chevy Bel Air Convertible lying in the bottom of a creek in Clintwood. It was a sheer drop about 300 ft down the side of a hill to the creek. We paid the people $50 for what was bascially just the frame partially covered in what used to be metal. We took it to Raleigh and sold it for $2500. There was a difference in the way the frames were made for the 57 Convertibles. Underneath the passenger compartment was like an "X". If you had this type of frame on a 57 Convertable it could make the difference between the car being valued at around $20-30k to upwards of $100k+.
The last car my dad restored was a teal 55 Bel Air, that I'd love to have. He sold it to someone in NC also. I've got a picture somewhere, if I could find it I'd post it.
"There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
I have a '46 Chevy Truck that I will fix up one day...most beautiful truck I have seen, but I'm biased!
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Maybe it's the goofy chrome thing going up the side. </div></div>
I am pretty sure all three had that trim on them.
The X brace frame was to stiffin the frame and reduce the flex produced by cutting the roof off.
I would say the '56 is like the middle child becaus most people either want the big fins '57 or no fins '55 and the '56 of course is in the middle.
I like all 3 and would take one just as soon as I would the other. But show me a '61 Impalla SS and I'm done.
![]()
[COLOR="Lime"][SIZE="6"][FONT="Century Gothic"]CREAG AN TUIRC[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]
[img]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a183/mm38nut/thkfc.gif[/img]
They all have the chrome, but the 56 seems more outlandish up the sides. The 55's chrome is more understated and simple. The 57's chrome is a little gawdy, especially on the fin, but it's still an awesome car. I like the all but 55, 57, 56 in that order.
"There he goes, one of Gods own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die"
bit of work me and my stepdad took some time to finish.......
![]()
![]()
![]()
![]()
"i asked a toothless man, who all these people were and, he said the soapmakers...and we are workin workin"
sweet
[IMG]http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg[/IMG] [URL="http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51%2BfhmkstgL._SS500_.jpg"] [/URL]
Bookmarks